When God’s Promises Hurt!

When God’s Promises Hurt!

Posted on 23. Jun, 2010 by in Kingdom Notes eZine

Apostolic Notes Vol 4 No 8 (download PDF)

“What!” you may be exclaiming: “That is absurd, when can God’s promises hurt?” May I offer a response – when they do not seem to be coming to pass.

Think for a moment of the excitement you experience when the Lord gave you a promise. Maybe it is about your job, finances, loved ones or a particular ministry. Daily you anticipate its fulfillment. Yet as time passes and the promise does not seem to materialize, there is a change in our attitude. Excitement now becomes frustration, maybe even anger as time continues to pass.

This promise forever alters our paradigm of life: it is always there, sometimes in the forefront of our thoughts, sometimes just below our consciousness.  It places us in a position that we cannot go back to how we used to think, yet it seems we cannot go forward either. There are days you wonder if you really heard Him right? Has He forgotten you? Did you miss it? Did you do something wrong? Questions and emotions can run rampant causing such mental anguish.

So yes the promises of God can hurt. But there is a reason.

Joseph experienced the same pain, yet God was using it as a process of development.  As a young man, Joseph received a promise from God. In a dream his  family was bowing to him and Joseph proceeds to tell them of this wonderful promise. Obviously, the family was not too thrilled.  This starts a process of development in Joseph’s life: he is cast into a pit, sold to a slave caravan and transported to Egypt, re-sold to Potiphar, then cast into prison.  Some promise huh! Some pain! Yet there was a reason for this besides getting him to Egypt.

Until the time that his word came: the word of the LORD tried him. Ps 105:19

Joseph’s promise required a process of preparation. The text above tells us that until the promise came to pass, Joseph was tried. According to BDB Hebrew Lexicon, “tried” means “to smelt, to refine, to test.” According to TWOT this word “is primarily used for gold and silversmiths and for the process of refining metals before they were worked into fine vessels.” The time between receiving the promise and its fulfillment was a refining time for Joseph. Ok, that makes sense and we can grasp that. So…….

Now this is what strikes me about this process: it was the “word of the LORD” that tried him. The very promise given him became his refiner! Think about that. How many times do we really associate a promise from God as purifying us? Usually we get excited: we claim His promises, we declare them and we look for them to come to pass. Yet have we ever stopped to think that His promise could also become the instrument of our purification?

All those years as a slave or in prison, Joseph must have been asking God about the promise. He probably questioned what he heard: wondered if he missed something or did something wrong. I can imagine there were many nights lying awake staring into the darkness of despair, wondering: “where is this promise?” Yet through this, there was a refining going on IN Joseph.

It was the purification process of the promise that equipped Joseph to fulfill the promise. Joseph was an immature seventeen-year-old when he received the dream, what did he know about leadership. Yet it was the pain of the years of servanthood in Potiphar’s house and the prison that equipped him as a leader and administrator. When It was God’s time, Joseph was ready to step into his promise.

Today, you may be wondering when will God bring his promise to pass. You are tired, frustrated and maybe angry. Don’t lose hope, if you are here, you are right where God wants you! You are in a process.

For a more detailed understanding of the process, see our book: But God, You Said: What’s Happening When Nothing’s Happening or click here

[singlepic id=27 w=320 h=240 float=right]

No related posts.

Tags: , , , ,

10 Responses to “When God’s Promises Hurt!”

1. sid Grimes

25. Jun, 2010

Awesome my Brother! Very timely also!

2. Casey Hamm

07. Jul, 2010

Appreciate the nugget brother, although I have to admit it’s tough sometimes. Realizing that the promise is a process instead of an absolute pointblank reward can be exausting to the ” old man.” We can only accomplish the promise through endurance. I needed that word. Thanks and God Bless.

3. Nana Attobrah

12. Jul, 2010

Thank you Father God, all honor and praises to Your name. And Mr. Smaltz, I can state here without mincing words that, God Almighty is using you. I’m exactly in the same situation as your post indicates. It’s eight years now that I’m waiting for the fulfillment of my promise.

Two days ago, I was so down that I wept, and asked God, what I should do. I’m in a very sorry state, everything crumbled all around me. My family scattered, lost my job, it’s nearly two years, lost my son, wife deserted the family, drowning in debts,etc etc.

Just this morning after my fellowship with the Father, I received your message through a site that I’m affiliated to. It’s the answer from the Lord to my years of asking myself all the questions in your article. Accept my heartiest thanks for what God is doing through you. God bless.

4. Jai

16. Sep, 2010

Hello,
    I thank you so much,this is a divine step and order for me to run into this word and website,,,,,,,,process leads to promise and I believe in my spirit that I’m that New Joseph…..in this Generation, the suffering that i’ve endured since birth,it’s been a dynamic journey,and he has given me a true revelation of my life,and the encounter that has taken place in the pain and the ashes for his glory,so in eadch given day,i realize more and more that i am the glory of the lord because of what he has done in my life,and i can truly say that i’m healed without scars and this is because i’ve just learned to just love and endure and extend grace and mercy in love even when it not given and if i see the promise yet just don’t be move,get lost in God,and he will give me his true strength to live!because I’m free with liberty in him,to trust him with my whole life because i know his character is holy,in the process becasue of this growth and development that takes place for glory…..the ending has taken place complete, given authority and power and glory and virtue and he has release the Promise….i desired his patience and longsuffering i ask for his trait!
    God Bless you!for the heavenly deposit and confirmation!
    Love Jai

5. Yvonne Magnia

10. Dec, 2010

Thank you for allowing the Master to guide your thoughts to make life relevant. This particular devotional has been my learning process in the past 10 years… I have come to realize through much pain… etc. that HE is making me into a vessel of honor for Himself… so therefore, He does not use my criteria…. I love GOD… HE is my mainstay!!! Thank you for the sweet reminder!

6. Angelica Raymond

24. Dec, 2010

Awesome my Brother! Very timely also!

7. Enid Ballard

29. Dec, 2010

8. jay

28. Oct, 2011

Awesome just what I needed. At times I get so fustrated that i look for this articals to see if anyone else is going thur the same. I check myself to see if I missed a step. Thank youvheavenly for your guidance

9. Steven

01. Feb, 2013

My wife and I were just talking about this subject and how this is woven into the life of Joesph. The thing that really spoke to me was that Joseph was also fulfilling his purpose while waiting on his promise which got him closer to receiving his promise.
    thank you as always for blessing me with this blog.